Volunteer Opportunities Form
Thank you in advance for volunteering at Selwyn! We are grateful for your commitment to our children. Please indicate your interest(s) by checking the appropriate box. You will receive confirmation of your assignment from the committee chairperson or Selwyn contact. If you have questions regarding a committee, contact information for PTA Committee Chairs.
If you would like to volunteer but are not sure what would be the best fit for you, please contact Beth Barden, Volunteer Coordinator, or any PTA Board of Directors member.
There will also be “day of” event volunteers needed throughout the year which will be communicated via the Eagle Email. You can also always find near term opportunities here.
- Tutoring/Learning Buddy (Tutor)* – Provide consistent weekly academic assistance before or during school to a student who needs reinforcement or remediation as directed by a teacher. Volunteers will meet with the same student for 30-45 minutes once a week October – May on a set schedule. A Learning Buddy must be a CMS registered volunteer, sign a confidentiality agreement and attend a training/ meeting normally the 3rd week of September (Chairs: Christen Greer and Jamie Scurry)
- North Star Reading Partners Volunteers - A CMS initiative in which volunteers work one hour, once a week. Volunteers will work with a 2nd grader who is struggling in reading. (Contact: Literacy Facilitator, Michelle Vulgamore)
- A-Team Volunteer – Assist extension team teachers with classroom responsibilities. Volunteers needed to help with weekly lunch coverage, assist in Autism Awareness Week, and assist with field trips (around town, Special Olympics, etc.) No training required – a positive attitude and patience a plus! (Chair: Melissa McPhail)
- Classroom Support Volunteer – Assist literacy and math facilitators and classroom teachers with preparing resources for use in Selwyn classrooms. Can do from home! (Chairs: Elizabeth Schonberg and Laura Skaff)
- Tours/Office Volunteer* – Want to be on the front line? Volunteers needed in the office for 2 hour shifts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. You will also be trained to give tours to prospective parents. (Chair: Lisa Anderson)
- Proctors* – Assist in classrooms and as hallway monitors for grade level testing. Opportunities in September and May. (Contact: Assistant Principal, Elizabeth Carrubba)
- Staff Appreciation Volunteer – Assist with staff appreciation efforts throughout the year including monthly recognition and during Staff Appreciation Week scheduled for March 16-20. (Chairs: Greta Hord, Brittany Jackson and Megan Roane)
- Chess Club – Work with Young Master Chess to teach chess to our students. Chess Club meets Wednesdays (typically from the end of September through the end of April) from 3-4pm. Volunteers are needed once a month on Wednesdays from 2:45-4 to help as needed with students. Volunteers do not need to know how to play chess.(Chair: Teri Povinelli)
- Nature Trails & Tales – Take classes on the Selwyn Nature Trail, read a science-related book to the class, discuss, and sometimes complete an additional mini-activity. Lesson plans and materials will be provided. Volunteers are asked to help with a minimum of one lesson and to cover at least half of the classes in a given grade level (about 3-4 hours total). Most outings are in the fall and spring and need to be coordinated with the teachers’ schedules. (Chairs: Beth Norton and Susan Rukus)
- Inreach/Outreach Volunteer – Assist with coordination and execution of grade level service projects. Each project will run one week or less. (Chairs: Meredeth Murr and Desi Wilson)
- Makerspace/Science Lab- Love observing firsthand how science and imagination engages and activates our children’s minds? Opportunities are available to organize and set up materials for pre-determined labs, assist in clean up, and support teachers as needed in execution of lab experiments. Schedule is flexible. (Chairs: Heather Brent, Ashley Hall, Barb Jones and Lauren Thompson)
- Friday Night Lights – Work a shift to help carry out this fun family event – set up, face painting, hair painting, handing out food and drinks, handing out football tickets, clean up, etc. on Friday, October 18. Some volunteers will be needed to help with heavy lifting during set-up. (Chairs: Katrina Moffett, Auguste Olson and Shelby Ott)
- Parent Party - Help plan, carry out and clean up after this awesome annual tradition. March 6 (Chairs: Erin Brady and Anne Lam)
- Red Ribbon Reading – Assist in the preparation and implementation of Red Friday on October 11. Help in the Spring with logistics, financial and creative aspects of RRR kick-off May 8. (Chairs: Whitney Hinson, Noel Hughes, Liz Schoonover and Jennifer Whitworth)
- Selwyn Celebrates the Arts – One of Selwyn’s finest traditions! Assist with mounting artwork throughout the year. Help set up, display and take down the fabulous artwork for our Spring PTA event scheduled for Thursday, May 7. Flexible daytime hours month of April; no artistic ability required. (Chairs: Molly Casner, Kavitha Gadiraju and Christy Parbst)
- Selwyn Family Fun – Help set up, carry out and clean up after these wonderful community building events -Movie Night, Grandparents/Special Friends Day (February 14th) and Dance Party (March 20th) (Chairs: Calea Bastnagel, Amy Hanna and Kristi Warren)
- Book Fair – Volunteers needed to operate cash registers and assist shoppers at our Winter Book Fair, December 9 – 13th, and at our Spring Book Fair, during the mornings of May 4 – 8th and the evening of Selwyn Celebrates the Arts, Thursday, May 7th. (Chairs: Jeana Bruchs and Robyn Huffstetler)
- Campus Beautification - Help keep Selwyn's campus beautiful throughout the year! Volunteers are needed to pick up litter and maintain plants on scheduled beautification days. (August and April 25th) and as needed in between. (Chairs: Mike Brawley, Brian Crowder, Seth Hudson and Carlyle Knox)
- Eagle – Would you like to dress up as the Selwyn Eagle for key events throughout the year? Sign-up to be contacted when the eagle is needed! Typical appearances are during morning carpool 1st and last day of school, Eagle Dads Days (October 14th and April 24th), Red Friday assembly (morning October 11th), Beginners Day (morning May 1st), and other special event days. (Contact: Michele Mangan)
- Hospitality Volunteer – Assist with events during the school year. Times vary from day to evening events. Contribute goodies, set up coffee on an as needed basis. Very flexible! (Chairs: Leigh Ann Faherty and Jennifer Bailey)
- Photographers – Do you love attending school events and taking pictures? We are looking for volunteers to help capture all of amazing activities happening at Selwyn. Pictures to be used for PTA communications and Yearbook. (Chair: Kim Lineberger)
- Prospective Parents - Assist with prospective parents’ events and welcome initiatives. Open House (October 17th) and Beginner’s Day (May 1st). There will be two meetings held in the months leading up to each event and the event itself. Activities include preparing packets for prospective parents as well as supporting the days’ activities (check-in, tours, greeters, etc.). Choose to help with one or both! (Chairs: Dina Beelaert, Kate Ishee, Julie Johnson and Allison Reece)
- School Store – Assist with school merchandise sales at special events. (Chairs: Sarah Gainey, Angie Reavis and Caroline McKim)
Please complete this form by Friday, September 4th.