Volunteer Opportunities Form
Thank you in advance for volunteering at Selwyn! We are grateful for your commitment to our children. Please indicate your interest(s) by checking the appropriate box. You will receive confirmation of your assignment from the committee chairperson or Selwyn contact. If you have questions regarding a committee, contact information for PTA Committee Chairs.
If you would like to volunteer but are not sure what would be the best fit for you, please contact Beth Barden, Volunteer Coordinator, or any PTA Board of Directors member.
There will also be “day of” event volunteers needed throughout the year which will be communicated via the Eagle Email. You can also always find near term opportunities here.
- Tutoring/Learning Buddy (Tutor)* – Provide consistent weekly academic assistance before or during school to a student who needs reinforcement or remediation as directed by a teacher. Volunteers will meet with the same student for 30-45 minutes once a week October – May on a set schedule. A Learning Buddy must be a CMS registered volunteer, sign a confidentiality agreement and attend a short training session. (Chair: Molly Putnam)
- North Star Reading Partners Volunteers - A CMS initiative in which volunteers work one hour, once a week. Volunteers will work with a 2nd grader who is struggling in reading. (Contact: Literacy Facilitator, Michelle Vulgamore)
- Lunch or Breakfast Buddy/Mentor - Develop a relationship with a child in need of a positive adult role model. Once a week or two times monthly. (Contact: Assistant Principal, Elizabeth Carrubba)
- Classroom Support Volunteer – Assist literacy and math facilitators and classroom teachers with preparing resources for use in Selwyn classrooms. Can do from home. (Chair: Eliza Brenkus and Laura Skaff)
- Office Volunteer* – Want to be on the front line? Volunteers needed in the office for 2 hour shifts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. You will also be trained to give tours to prospective parents. (Chair: Lisa Anderson)
- Proctors* – Assist in classrooms and as hallway monitors for grade level testing typically done in May.(Contact: Assistant Principal, Elizabeth Carrubba)
- Staff Appreciation Volunteer – Assist with staff appreciation efforts throughout the year including monthly recognition and Staff Appreciation Week in March of 2021. (Chairs: Tiffany McArthur and Kathy Shields)
- Nature Trails & Tales – Lead classes in grades K-2 on the Selwyn Nature Trail, read a science-related book to the class, discuss, and sometimes complete an additional activity. Lesson plans and materials will be provided. Volunteers are asked to help with a minimum of one lesson (around 40 minutes). Most outings are in the fall and spring and need to be coordinated with the teachers’ schedules. (Chairs: Ali Price and Beth Norton)
- Inreach/Outreach Volunteer – Assist with coordination and execution of grade level service projects. (Chairs: Desi Wilson)
- Science Lab- Love observing firsthand how science engages and activates our children’s minds?Opportunities are available to purchase, organize and set up materials for pre-determined labs, assist in clean up, and support teachers as needed in execution of lab experiments. Schedule is flexible. (Chairs: Heather Brent, Ashley Hall, and Lauren Thompson)
- Parent Party - Help plan and provide support during this annual gathering at a local restaurant. Spring 2021 (Chairs: Erin Brady and Anne Lam)
- Red Ribbon Reading – Assist in the preparation and implementation of Red Friday in the Fall of 2020. Help in the Spring with logistics, financial and creative aspects of RRR kick-off May 2021. (Chairs: Heather Salameh and Danielle South)
- Selwyn Celebrates the Arts – One of Selwyn’s finest traditions! Assist with mounting artwork throughout the year. Help set up, display and take down the fabulous artwork for our Spring PTA event scheduled for Spring 2021. Flexible daytime hours month of April; no artistic ability required. (Chairs: Suzanne Carson, Morgan Gassner, and Molly Mayfield)
- Selwyn Family Fun –Help set up, carry out and clean up after our community building events. (Chairs: Calea Bastnagel, Amy Hanna, and Kristi Warren)
- Book Fair – Volunteers needed to operate cash registers and assist shoppers at our Book Fairs.(Chairs: Jeana Bruchs and Robyn Huffstetler)
- Campus Beautification - Help keep Selwyn's campus beautiful throughout the year. Volunteers are needed to pick up litter and maintain plants on scheduled beautification days. (Chairs: Mike Brawley, Carrington Coulter and Carlyle Knox)
- Eagle – Would you like to dress up as the Selwyn Eagle for key events throughout the year? Sign-up to be contacted when the eagle is needed. (Contact: Michele Mangan)
- Hospitality Volunteer – Assist with events during the school year. Times vary from day to evening events. Contribute goodies and set up coffee on an as needed basis. Very flexible. (Chairs: Leigh Ann Faherty and Jennifer Bailey)
- Photographers – Do you love attending school events and taking pictures? We are looking for volunteers to help capture all of the amazing activities happening at Selwyn. (Pictures to be used for PTA communications.) (Chairs: Amanda Anderson, Kim Lineberger and Amy Peterson)
- Prospective Parents - Assist with prospective parents’ events and welcome initiatives. -Open House (October 2020) and Beginner’s Day (May 2021). There will be two meetings held in the months leading up to each event and the event itself. Activities include preparing packets for prospective parents as well as supporting the days’ activities (check-in, tours, greeters). Choose to help with one or both. (Chairs: Julie Johnson, Whitney Sturge and Jennifer Whitworth)
- School Store – Assist with school merchandise sales at special events. (Chairs: Mindy Miller and Katie O’Connor)
- Tour Guide* –Share your love of Selwyn School with prospective families. Tours occur on Tuesday Thursday mornings, 9:30-10:30. (Chair: Lisa Anderson)
Please complete this form by Friday, September 4th.