Red Ribbon Reading
Red Ribbon Reading is not only a wonderful opportunity to continue your child’s reading, writing and math progress over the summer months, but also is the only Selwyn fundraiser that 100% funds the PTA Operating Budget. This highly celebrated and fun summer program helps Selwyn students take ownership of all the great learning opportunities the PTA provides over the school year.
Here is how Red Ribbon Reading works:
- Help your child set his or her summer goal.
- Ask parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and neighbors to pledge an amount of money per hour of summer reading, writing and math or make a flat donation.
- Find out if your employer will provide a corporate match.
- Record summer goal and pledges online
- Complete the online pledge form.
- READ, WRITE AND PRACTICE MATH!!
- Help your child keep track of his or her hours. Record your child’s hours on the Red Ribbon Reading Chart. Extra copies of the reading chart can be found here.
- New in 2021: Use the Red Ribbon Reading recommended reading and bonus project lists to identify grade level appropriate books and projects for your child. The bonus projects can help your child get the most out of his or her reading while earning extra hours.
- Recommended Reading List
- Bonus Projects
- Don’t forget: reading to your children counts!
- Pledge amounts will be returned to parents via email.
- Tally summer reading, writing and math hours and collect pledged dollars from sponsors.
- By September 10, please complete online form by recording hours and submitting payment.
- Celebrate your success on RED FRIDAY!
To fully realize the importance and benefits of Red Ribbon Reading, take a look at just a few (of the many) items funded by donations received through this program.
- Field Trips (AW Shucks Farm, Zootastic, Panthers Stadium, Discovery Place, Nature Museum, Hunter Farms)
- Selwyn Celebrates the Arts (SCARTS)
- Campus Beautification
- Science Lab/Makerspace
- Safety Patrol
- Outreach Programs (Loaves & Fishes, Baby Bundles, Lunch Project, Urban Ministries, Summit Living Center)
- Events for Prospective Parents and Students
- Fifth Grade Promotion Day
- Supplies for Health Room
- Professional Development for Teachers
- Red & Blue Day
Contact your Red Ribbon Reading Committee: SelwynRRR@gmail.com
Red Ribbon Reading Committee
Amy Shaffer, Petra Balassy, Heather Salameh
Thank you to all of our RRR Sponsors!